You are here
Early Learning represents Abbotsford School District's commitment to each and every young student in our community – to be exposed to nurturing, stimulating and exciting learning environments in our schools. This means we work with our families and our community preschool providers to ensure that our youngest learners are welcomed into our schools before they begin Kindergarten.
Early Learning encompasses social, emotional, physical and academic programming for 0-8 year old children in Abbotsford schools. Following the BC Ministry of Education curriculum and the BC Early Learning Framework (see below), plus current research by experts in the Early Childhood Education field, our primary classrooms focus on play based, emotionally supportive, academically stimulating, language enriched dynamic programming.
To learn more about our Early Years Programs or read more on Early Learning, please see the links below,
- Kindergarten in the Abbotsford School District
- Early Learning Programs in the Abbotsford School District
- Early French Immersion in the Abbotsford School District
- Abbotsford Regional Early Years Centre hosted by Abbotsford School District
The early years are a critically important time in human development.
"We now understand how early child and brain development sets trajectories in the health, learning and behavior for life" ~ J. Fraser Mustard.
There are five extremely important tenets in the human development research that underlies work in the field of Early Learning.
- Early experiences shape brain development.
- Brain development strongly influences learning, behavior, and health throughout life.
- The early years are a period of heightened opportunities and increased risks.
- Families and communities matter.
- Early child development programs can make a significant difference.
B.C.’s Early Learning Framework includes learning principles and key areas of learning for children up to five years old:
- British Columbia Early Learning Framework (PDF, 1.20MB)
- Colombie-Britannique Cadre pédagogique pour l’apprentissage des jeunes enfants (PDF, 1.33MB)
The Framework applies to all learning environments, from StrongStart BC programs to child care settings, pre-schools and other early childhood development or child health programs. It also:
- Supports dialogue and reflection on the importance of the development and learning of young children.
- Guides early learning programs and activities.
- Encourages discussion with families about their child’s early learning.
- Shapes professional development.
- Creates a shared image of children to guide the promotion of early learning.
Early learning refers to the emerging and expanding of young children’s physical, intellectual, emotional, social, and creative capacities.
Four areas of the BC Early Learning Framework are;
- Well being and Belonging;
- Exploration and Creativity;
- Language and Literacies;
- Social Responsibility and Diversity
“All children are born with curiosity about themselves, other people, and the world around them, and in this sense are born learners”.