You are here
StrongStart in Abbotsford
StrongStart is a free, drop-in early learning program for children (ages 0-5 years) accompanied by a parent or caregiver.
There are 13 StrongStart centres in Abbotsford School District:
- Alexander Elementary, 2250 Lobban Rd.
- Clearbrook Elementary, 3614 Clearbrook Rd.
- Dormick Park Elementary, 32161 Dormick Ave.
- Dr. T.A. Swift Elementary, 34800 Mierau Ave.
- Godson Elementary, 33130 Bevan Rd.
- Harry Sayers Elementary (has two StrongStarts), 31321 Blueridge Dr.
- Jackson Elementary, 33165 King R.
- John Maclure Elementary/Community school, 2990 Oriole Cres.
- Margaret Stenersen Elementary, 3060 Old Clayburn Rd.
- Sweeney Neighbourhood Centre, 33355 Bevan Ave (behind Abby. Senior).
- Ten-Broeck Elementary, 2580 Stanley St.
- Terry Fox Elementary, 3071 Babich St.
Abbotsford School District Superintendent Kevin Godden and Abbotsford Police Department Chief Constable Bob Rich team up as Abbotsford community partners to share why StrongStarts are proving lasting positive results for our families. Find out more in this video.
StrongStart for Parents
Use these suggestions to get the most out of your experience in a StrongStart BC program:
• Introduce yourself to the StrongStart BC facilitator and help your child introduce themselves.
• Sign in and out every day that you attend.
• Allow your child to observe an activity or group experience before participating.
• Help your child learn by experience – teach them to help themselves, interact with others independently and create using their own ideas. Only offer assistance or instruction when necessary, like when your child uses something for the first time or needs help resolving a conflict.
• Offer to write down your child’s words to describe the pictures they create.
• Ask your child open ended questions about their experiences.
• Acknowledge your child’s effort and offer encouragement frequently – especially after a disappointment.
• Relax, learn and have fun with your child and other families.
Before you register, learn more about the StrongStart BC program and find a location near you - check the list above.
Complete a registration form when you first attend the program with your child. Please also be prepared to provide legal proof of identification for your child – this includes:
• Any type of vital statistics document like a birth certificate
• Identification issued by Immigration Canada (e.g. passport, visa, permanent resident card)
• An Aboriginal Status card
Be sure to check in with the facilitator as soon as you arrive at the StrongStart BC program – they can assist with this process and answer any questions you might have.
Your child’s initial registration into a StrongStart BC program will also mark the beginning of their educational record in B.C. and they will receive a Personal Education Number (PEN).